Engineer (SC9) Damascus Job in Damascus, Syria at World Food Program – Other locations
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
All applications should be received no later than 13 April 2022
CONTRACT TYPE AND DURATION
This position is open to Syrian or Syrian/Palestinian nationals, or holders of a work permit and residency in Syria.
Contract Type: Service Contract (SC9)
Duration: 12 months
Duty Station: Damuscus
Number of required employees: 1
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In Syria, WFP provides food assistance to more than 4.6 million people each month. This includes families who require emergency assistance when affected by conflict and displacement and also those who need help to improve their nutrition and food security. WFP supports children across Syria with healthy meals and snacks at school, mothers with nutritious diets, and families and communities with sustainable livelihood projects.
WFP Syria Country Office is developing various projects involving construction and, more in general, engineering activities, from buildings refurbishment for office space to livelihood projects. With this aim, an Engineering Unit, has been established within the Support Services to technically support various Units, providing engineering design and reviews; engineering project management; construction procurement processes; contract management for construction activities and technical support in general. Due to the difficulties for UN staff to move around the country, the work within the engineering team is arranged by areas and the Engineer will be responsible for all the projects in the Governorates assigned to him/her, mainly: WFP facilities (offices), Supply Chain projects (warehouses and MSUs installations), livelihood projects (rehabilitation of bakeries and irrigation system).
The Engineer will work in the Engineering Unit of Syria Country Office, reporting to the Lead Engineer, under the overall supervision of the Deputy Country Director for Support Services. S/he will report in relation to all aspects of design, construction and contract management for different types of projects to be carried out in Syria, supporting various CO units.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
The main tasks required for this position will be engineering projects management including planning; engineering design review; construction procurement processes monitoring; supervision and facilitation of construction activities carried out by cooperating partners and contractors and, more generally, technical support to other WFP’s programmes and operations in Syria. Within delegated authority, the Engineer will be responsible for the following duties (not limited to): • Increase WFP engineering unit capacity to respond to the WFP Facility Projects and Livelihood projects, developing internal and external partnerships.
- Conduct field visits and analyses of project proposals to ensure business case and technical feasibility and that project objectives are attainable within the prescribed resources and timelines.
- Support in preparation of accurate and timely reports on outputs to enable informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to the stakeholders.
- Supervision of the construction works, programming and co-ordination, acting as the project focal point between SYCO ENG and the Contractor
- Prepare and/or review designs, drawings and construction contract documentation. • Prepare and review reports, minutes, and correspondence in relation to the project as requested.
- Undertake administrative tasks, maintaining records including site correspondence, survey data, inspection records, test data, site diaries, records of meetings, financial records, progress records etc.
- Liaison with Authorities to obtain necessary authorization for the implementation of the projects and to ensure coordination of activities throughout the project duration.
- Review and evaluation of planned and in-progress construction projects.
- Provide recommendations to SYCO ENG in relation to certifying payments on the project and for any additional financial obligations necessary to be entered into in order to complete the construction at project work site.
- Assistance to SYCO ENG in contractual matters (performance bonds, insurances, claims, advance payment guarantees etc.).
- Preparation, in consultation with SYCO ENG, of variations to address issues encountered on site or arising from the needs of the WFP or others. Preparation of all designs, drawings, quantities etc to address the issues for the approval by the SYCO ENG and CO. Review of proposals on variation orders and implementation schedules prepared by the contractor. Preparation of variations to address programme constraints arising from escalations in the security situation.
- Any other duties assigned as per requirement of the Head of Engineering Unit.
Company: World Food Program – Other locations
Company Location: Damascus, Syria
Job Category: Non-profit Organization